A Day In The Life: Second Year Medical Student (Respiratory Block)

October 14, 2016

I'm super nerdy and I think "a day in the life" posts are entertaining. I did one last year during my first year of medical school in October, so naturally, I wanted to do it during the same time of year during my second year of medical school.

You can check out the last three of my "day in the life" posts below:

A Day In The Life : First Year Medical Student (Anatomy Block), 2015
A Day In The Life : Full-Time Nanny, 2014
A Day In The Life : Peace Corps Volunteer, 2013

This year, I have much more "free time." We have fewer hours scheduled in labs, but that means all those "free afternoon hours" should be filled with independent studying. We have a lot more DSA's this year (designated student assignments)... AKA reading assignments. So while this day looks a little more relaxed than last year, I assure you I have plenty to study :) But I really appreciate having more flexibility.

Also, in case you don't notice... I'm becoming a HORRIBLE morning person. I'm a pro at waking up as late as possible and still getting to school on time. I loveeeeeee that I can leave my house at 7:50 and make it to my 8:00 lecture. :)

Here goes!

7:15 A.M. | Woke up and found this text from my mom. Her goat had baby goats!!! Time to drag my butt out of bed and get to school. 

7:35 A.M. | Made smoothies for M & I (our typical breakfast)

7:42 A.M. | Let this sweet pup inside from going to the bathroom. Check out the gloomy fall weather! 

7:47 A.M. | A photo because I'm in love with all the fall colors. 

8:25 A.M. | Mid-lecture photo, because that's not weird at all :) This was mid-lecture learning about pneumonia and TB. 

8:57 A.M. | At our break, coffee was necessary. Also, I helped my mom name all those cute goats with the help of my friends. Those four goats are now named: Maple, Nutmeg, Pumpkin (3 girls) and Squash (1 boy). Naming goats seems like it was the coolest part of my day :) 

I didn't take any other pictures during our lectures... but from 8-11 A.M. we had our lecture about pneumonia and TB. From 11-12 A.M. we had a pharmacology lecture about TB drugs. 

12:05 P.M. | All settled in to listen to a lunch time talk about Child Abuse. One of the pediatricians at our school gave a talk about child abuse for the pediatrics club, family medicine club, and ethics interest group. 

1:10 P.M. | I attended a PER for the last respiratory test I took. PER stands for post-exam review. It's a way for you to review all the questions on the test to see what you got right and wrong. Faculty are usually present to clarify concepts as well. We aren't allowed to take anything into the PER with us, so all you get is this lovely photo of the sign on the door. :) 

2:17 P.M. | Arrived at home! And really, I'm just obsessed with this tree. 

2:24 P.M. | Said hi to my pets, pulled out my planner, and started knocking off some things on my to-do list. I had to make some phone calls for the pediatrics club and organize some of my school work for the week. 

2:45 P.M. | Started uploading some of the photos from the day into my blog. People always ask me how I find time to blog... and it's really not so tough. I just make time for it! (or at least, I try.)

3:10 P.M. | My husband got home for the day. We have a habit of always sitting down to tell each other about our days (a small habit that I've really grown to love). And most of the time, Bear thinks he is welcome to jump into the conversation (and our laps). 

3:20 P.M. | This is what it looks like to be in a relationship with a medical student :) I agreed to run an errand with M, so long as I could bring my notes with me in the car. I was studying for my osteopathic competencies I had the following day. 

3:25 P.M. | Pit stop for coffee, because.... coffee. AND it was my first pumpkin latte of the season (despite how much M thinks pumpkin is disgusting, I'll always love it.)

3:33 P.M. | REI. The best place for a study break and day dreaming of all the fun adventures. 

4:30 P.M. | Yes, we had coffee. And yes, we still believe in power naps. 

5:45 P.M. | After some more studying, I asked M to be my patient (and Bear was clearly the witness). He patiently let me run through all the osteopathic techniques I was going to be tested on during competencies the following day. I'm SO glad I bought a table to practice techniques on last year... we use it quite frequently.

6:05 P.M. | Dinner! Beef stew & beets. My kind of yummy. 

6:30 P.M. | Post-dinner walk for Bear, M & I. 

6:45 P.M. | At my desk, ready to study the night away. My cat, Kibi, was clearly ready to sleep next to me and support me the whole time. I spent the rest of the evening studying all the bugs and drugs in my respiratory course. 

7:53 P.M. | Also, fun side note: listening to lectures on double speed is something you learn to do in medical school. What's sad is that double speed sounds slow to me now... so I had to add an extension onto google chrome to listen to things at 3x speed. What has my life come to!? 

10:45 P.M. | Finished up some studying, made to-do lists for the week, and called it a night! 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Tate Does Things. Design by FCD.